Oh boy! First of all, 2017 has not been a good year for blogging. I am an inconsistent blogger, and for that I am sorry. But I still want to recap the year, because it was an incredible year.
Some highlights and lowlights from this year, in no particular order:
- Watched tennis live for the first time ever! Truth be told, I’m not really a sports person, haha. But Jethro is.
- Sold my cards at 7 craft shows (I did 12 in 2016, and boy this was a much better balance in my life.. shows are a lot of work!)
- Taught 11 calligraphy workshops (at Cafe Latte Cino, Maker House Co., Oh So Good, Craft Night Out, Craftfest, Freewheeling Craft Market, Calligraphy Society of Ottawa, and Satin & Snow!)
- Lost my grandmother (婆婆) this year and went to her funeral in Vancouver (it was both heartbreaking to say goodbye but also encouraging to hear about her faith in her later years. I look forward to seeing her again one day!)
- Had countless friend dates (filled with board games, coffee, donuts, and ice cream)
- Celebrated Canada 150 and tried to go to as many of the free events in Ottawa this year (Mosaicanada, Kontinuum, La Machine)
- Went to Toronto for 3 weddings (the best excuse to travel!)
- Donated proceeds to the Cancer Society and United Way in an attempt to give back to causes I care about. Still figuring this one out.
- Met many dream clients (some who have since added me as a friend on Facebook and follow my personal life, too — ultimate badge of awesomeness)
- Was featured in Ottawa Wedding Magazine and a number of other online publications (will always be surreal)
- Got nominated for best wedding stationery in Ottawa (especially since calligraphy is not my full-time job, I am seriously honoured!)
- Learned to listen to unhappy clients and unhappy mothers-of-clients (can honestly say this is my least favourite thing about doing custom work, even if it’s only 1 in many)
- Got engaged to Jethro! (I can’t wait to design our stationery pieces!)
- Visited Jethro’s family in Calgary twice (seriously, so much flying this year. I was at Pearson 6 times for 3 return trips)
- Met a couple Instagram friends in real life! Let’s do more of this in 2018, k?
- I presented an academic poster at a health conference in Toronto, and it had my name on it!
- Invested in Dubsado for my client management, and fell in love with it (get ready for the best client experience, ever! Already have had so many happy clients go through using the awesome online contracts and payments)
- Actually got my Christmas cards out on time (whew!)
Thank you for being a part of my 2017!
According to Instagram, here are my #2017bestnine:
Onwards to 2018!